Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Old Station, August 23

I woke up two days ago thinking I was in Africa. I was freezing my butt off that night and I knew the day was going to be hot as hell. I never expected California to be so dry and hot. It's just like a desert - it looks like one and feels like one. And I keep reminding myself, "This is nothing, wait until you get to the real desert in Southern California."








----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GEORGI AND DENNIS HEITMAN

In Old Station live Georgi and Dennis, who are the official Trail Angels of the PCT. Trail Angels are people who help out hikers. My deepest respect for them because we are dusty and you really wouldn't want us in your house. They let us stay at their tree house, made breakfast, lunch and dinner, and did our laundry. Georgi and I went plum picking to her friend's house and later at night we watched "The Wizard of Oz". These kind of places are dangerous for hikers because they are very hard to leave. Georgi and Dennis have hosted close to 200 hikers this summer. This place turns into a real party house once the hikers arrive.



Georgi Heitman making French toast













Tent City and a tree house

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEETING NORTH-BOUNDERS

I was starting to wonder if north-bounders really existed, or did Francis just make them up to make me feel better. By now, we have met most of them, and it has been a real pleasure. All the people on the trail are unique and interesting in their own way. They are incredibly good and friendly and I just love hanging out with them. I have not met one person I did not like. I am amazed how many old people there are. This trail is so hard, but there are plenty of grandpas and grandmas on the trail. Instead of feeling old and grumpy, they are roaming the mountains and celebrating their old age. The oldest person I met, was Billy Goat who was 67. He has hiked the trail 5 times and is still hiking it today. "If he can do it, I can do it," I thought. We hang out with him and his hiking buddies at Timberline Lodge, Mt. Hood. Billy Goat said: "I am not thru-hiking this year, I am ONLY doing 2000 miles." :)))))) Yeah, only 2000 miles, Billy, that's nothing :)))))

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRAIL NAMES

Most hikers have trail names. Some names have a story behind it or say something about that person's character or look. Some names are adopted from cartoon characters, some from famous Native Americans, like Crazy Horse for example, who was a legendary Indian warrior. Trail names are a fun part of the hike, and at the same time, give everybody a chance to be anonymous and equal. Nobody knows who you really are, and it doesn't really matter anyway.
There are people from Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Spain, England, Israel, Hawaii, Australia and Ireland. I think the Germans and Austrians are the biggest suckers for the PCT. I will post some pictures of the hikers to give you an idea what they look like.

They were some of my favorite and most memorable hikers on the trail. Just look at their outfits and his hair! I give him a lot of credit, because carrying around that much hair is not easy. And he was carrying a little red guitar, too.


Nemo and Crazy Horse


Funnybone - the funniest guy out there, hence the name.


Funnybone


Eric D - the second fastest guy after Scott Williamson. He said the trail was a vacation. I couldn't believe he said that.


Eric D


Hermann from Belgium. Just look at his long legs. I bet he only took half the steps I took. He was a very nice guy and a very passionate hiker. I could tell that he just loved being out there.


Hermann


Team Calabama - the boys from California and Alabama. The only thing that kept them going was beer. They hiked for beer. Usually other hikers would ask us about the nearest water sources on the trail, but they were only interested in breweries. They were out to party and good for them.


Team Calabama


I loved Phil's attitude, he made me laugh. While studying his map he went: "I have no idea where I am." After studying the map a little closer and not being able to figure out where he was, he concluded: "I guess it doesn't really matter anyway." :D As long as you know you are on the PCT, it really does not matter.


Phil


GnomeSherpa was carrying a little garden gnome on his backpack that he had stolen from someones lawn a long time ago. Where ever he travels, he takes the gnome with him. And while traveling around the world with the stolen gnome he would send post cards to those people who he stole the gnome from, and always signs the post card as their gnome.


Oatmeal Stout and GnomeSherpa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home