Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Timberline, Mt. Hood, July 26

I'll never forget the arrival at the Timberline Lodge. We were supposed to meet our friend Bernie Wilt, who wanted to make a podcast about our hike. We had hiked 30 something miles that day and thought we were very close to Timberline Lodge. Somehow we had miscalculated our miles and realized we had a lot more to hike than we thought. Now we had to hike faster to get there on time. After having hiked 30 miles already, it was a challenge.

Francis had been to the Lodge a few years ago and mentioned that they made good salmon. Automatically, my feet started moving faster. "If there is salmon, I am going to get it," I thought. The last four miles I ran in my flip-flops with my backpack on. Those last four miles felt like the longest miles I ever hiked/ran. I was going to get the salmon no matter what, and I did get it. My hard efforts paid off. :)

We ordered all sorts of salmon dishes and they were all heavenly. The food in Timberline is one of the best I have ever had in America, and I am hardly exaggerating. Maybe I only felt that way because I was so hungry, but maybe it is really true. I need to go back and find out. :)


My feet were badly contused due to running in flip-flops and my whole body was so sore from running that I could hardly move. After I finished my divine dinner, I was so exhausted I could have slept on a rock. However, I felt happy because I felt accomplished, as if I had done something I didn't think I could do. I will remember that day as one of the hardest days on the PCT.

The next morning we were lucky to have breakfast with the legendary Billy Goat and his hiking buddies.


From the left: Meadow Mary, Captain America, T-, Francis, Billy Goat.

Billy Goat was the oldest hiker I met on the trail(on the right). He was 67 and was hiking the trail the 6th time. I was very surprised and inspired when meeting him and his hiking buddies. They were all grandmas and grandpas and instead of feeling old and grumpy, they were celebrating their age and roaming the mountains.


Billy Goat looked at me sceptically and said: "So YOU are going to walk to Mexico, huh?" He clearly didn't seem to have much confidence in me.

"Just you wait, Billy Goat...I am SO going to walk to Mexico," I thought to myself. :-)






Eagle Creek trail



Tunnel Falls



morning in Cascade Locks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home