Thursday, June 22, 2006

Start - Rainy Pass, June 25

It is June 25th and I am taking off for the PCT. Our good friend Venkat will drive me to the Rainy Pass, where I am meeting Francis and starting the journey. I am bringing an ice axe and wearing my snow boots, because there will be a lot of snow in the mountains. This is my first long hike and I have no idea how it is going to make me feel and who I am going to be when I am done. We'll see!!!


Because getting Canadian visa from Seattle turned out to be too complicated, I will not be able to go to Manning Park, British Columbia, where the PCT starts. I will start in Rainy Pass and miss the first 60 miles of the PCT.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESUPPLY

Before we left for the hike, I packaged 24 boxes of trail food and gear- soy milk and cereal for breakfast, pasta, rice, energy bars, dried fruit, nuts, other little snacks, first aid, gear, and shoes. A friend of ours will be shipping the boxes for us as we go. Resupply is necessary because a lot of the mountain towns on the PCT are very small and don't always have everything we need. Shoes, for example. Your feet will expand after walking long distances. I am starting off with size 37 and have size 39-40 in our resupply boxes.











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home